Introduction to Writing TV Comedy
This course introduces students to the key principles for making great TV comedy. You’ll study the best examples of TV comedy and complete weekly writing exercises to hone your screenwriting skills. The course covers:
- How to develop comedic characters that audiences will want to binge watch
- Crafting engaging stories for a TV episode
- Writing strong comedic scenes
- The TV comedy landscape and where to position your show idea
- Developing a series bible and all the elements you’ll need to pitch your idea
You can come in with an idea for a TV show, or develop a new one as the course progresses. At the end of the 6 weeks, you’ll have a solid foundation to begin writing your own original TV comedy script.
Damien Higginbotham is a writer and performer. He is currently working on TV shows in development at Comedy Central in the US, and NBC Universal in the UK. He completed his masters degree in screenwriting from AFTRS where he has returned as a guest tutor. His work has been aired on the ABC, and his original TV pilot was optioned by BAFTA winning producers and shopped to major broadcasters in the UK including the BBC and Channel Four.
This ITS course runs for six weeks, and meets once a week for 2.5 hours.
This course is capped at 10 people per class.
Registration is $420.
- Saturday 2021July 24, 2021 - August 28, 2021
1:00 pm - 3:30 pm