Introduction to Writing TV Comedy ONLINE (SOLD OUT)
This course introduces students to the key principles for making great TV comedy. You’ll study the best examples of TV comedy and complete weekly writing exercises to hone your screenwriting skills.
The class covers:
- The TV comedy landscape and where to position your idea;
- How to develop comedic characters that audiences will want to binge watch;
- The key elements for crafting engaging stories for a TV episode;
- Writing strong comedic scenes;
- Developing a series bible and the elements you’ll need to pitch your show.
You can come in with an idea for a TV show, or develop a new one as the course progresses. At the end of the 6 weeks, you’ll have a solid foundation to begin writing your own original TV comedy script.
Damien Higginbotham is a writer and performer. He completed his masters degree in screenwriting from AFTRS where he has returned as a guest tutor. His pilot script Subscribe! was optioned by BAFTA-winning producers and shopped to major broadcasters in the UK including the BBC and Channel Four. Damien has worked as a screenwriter on a TV series in development at NBC Universal, and his recent script, The Administrators, is a semifinalist in the 2020 ScreenCraft Comedy Screenplay Competition.
This ITS online course runs for six weeks, and meets once a week online for 2.5 hours.
This course is capped at 10 people per class.
Registration is $375.
- Thursday 2020 ONLINE CLASS (SOLD OUT)September 17, 2020 - October 22, 2020
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm